i (still) hate the bar exam

The adventures of a disgruntled unemployed former slacker law student struggling to pass the bar exam and find a job involving as little actual legal work as possible.

Friday, August 04, 2006

Boo Hiss to Selfishness

So I don't mean to be a whiny bitch, but the bar exam scraped me raw and every little thing is getting on my nerves in an extreme kind of way:

What the hell is wrong with people who can't write to acknowledge when you send them a present? I'm not talking about a formal, handwritten, Miss Manners style thank you note. I'm talking about a simple acknowledgement email. Or some sort of phone call. Even a voicemail.

I have sent my college best friend/roommate a present for her birthday and christmas every year for the past 5 years and also sometimes stuff I find when I travel or things I see just because. I am invariably forced to call her just to find out whether or not the package even arrived. I don't want to be thanked (although it would be nice), I just want to know that her mailman is not prancing around in the pink feathered high heeled shoes I carefully selected on my trip to Angola. So frustrating! I'm annoyed about this right now because its her birthday tomorrow, and the online tracking thing shows that her package was delivered 2 days ago. She's unemployed and spends all her time sitting at home blogging, so it's not like she can't get to the computer.

In contrast, I have another college friend who is dirt poor who never sends me anything, but she *always* emails when I send her stuff, and she has to walk 2 miles, uphill, through 3 feet of snow (or blazing heat) to get to the computer in the public freaking library to get email access. She also works 2 minimum wage jobs to support herself and her deadbeat husband whose entire paycheck goes to his 5 (five!) illegitimate children. When he's employed at all.

I know I could just stop sending stuff, but I LIKE sending people presents. I like picking them out, and wrapping them, and finding a card, and I even like going to the post office (depending which post office I'm going to - we have a shockingly nice new efficient PO here in the ghetto). I just don't like feeling like I'm dropping the stuff into a big black void where it will never be seen or heard from again.

1 Comments:

  • At 6:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I used to complain about people like this, and then someone very close to me reminded me of an old chinese saying (she is chinese -- I am 1/2 chinese). It translates into something such as this -- if you are doing something to get a thank you, you are doing it for the wrong reasons.

    Some people are just unappreciative and/or have no manners. Do not let them ruin your generous sprit. . .

     

Post a Comment

<< Home