i (still) hate the bar exam

The adventures of a disgruntled unemployed former slacker law student struggling to pass the bar exam and find a job involving as little actual legal work as possible.

Thursday, August 03, 2006

Tell Us How You Really Feel

I spent yesterday searching for jobs and not finding them and hyperventilating about it, so today I'm going to see my #1 Career Services lady. She's the nice, supportive one who's never actually helped me in any way. I don't imagine this is going to amount to anything. Agh! Doom!

I mean it's not like I want to work. And I certainly don't want to be a lawyer. It's just one of those things you're supposed to do after law school. Just like how even when you know for a fact that you don't want to work for a BigFirm, you still do the lottery when they come to campus. It's not that you want to work for them, but that you want them to want you to work for them. It's like dating. You want to be the one doing the rejecting - you don't want the scary Young Republican with the puffy face who smells like pickled eggs to reject you. That's your job. And it's shocking and crushing to find out that anyone like that could not be interested in you.

So yeah, I would rather die than have billable hours, but firms can't know that. I don't put that in my cover letter. My resume doesn't say "Interests: slacking off, spreading malicious office gossip, and surfing the internet all day." So why the hell isn't anyone interested in me? I think I said before that I suck at interviews, but it's not like I'm blowing my interviews - I'm not getting any interviews and I don't understand why. I went to a top 25 school. I have three Big Firm names on my resume. I have solid, recent work experience in the fields that interest me. I was an editor on a journal and I did moot court for two years. But I literally have not had an interview for 11 months. What's the problem???

I almost feel like I insulted someone at a dinner party once and got blacklisted from the profession, but I've thought about it thoroughly and I can't come up with anything. And obviously now that I've graduated it's only going to get worse because who's going to hire someone who is clearly unemployable, based on the fact that they are not currently employed.

Luckily I don't know anyone who has a job lined up, but that's mainly because I don't know anyone who graduated this year. Of the five people I know from last year, 3 of them are still unemployed and 2 of them are contemplating suicide at Big Firms. This does not give me hope for the future.

If anybody has any advice I'd love to hear it. I have to go scream at the Price is Right. LOWER stupid! LOWER!!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home