i (still) hate the bar exam

The adventures of a disgruntled unemployed former slacker law student struggling to pass the bar exam and find a job involving as little actual legal work as possible.

Friday, December 29, 2006

Cashmere Lip Perfection

I've been going over the numbers, and it looks like when I start my full-time job in two weeks (so soon!) I will not be making enough to live on. For instance, I can pay my rent and pay my student loans, but not eat. Or, I could eat and pay my loans, but get evicted and have to live in my car. However, even if I did live in my car, I would not be able to afford to buy gas to drive it to work, so I would lose my job and freeze to death on the side of the road, and they would find me huddled under my diploma for warmth, clutching my tiny Supreme Court souvenir gavel in one hand and the 2006 Tax Code in the other.

I have tried to talk to Boyfriend and my family about this, but they keep saying, essentially, "Oh, don't worry, you can still do the real estate thing on the side." Which is true, except that they seem to all be overlooking the small fact that I CAN'T SEEM TO MAKE ANY MONEY DOING REAL ESTATE. So, if I were looking for, say, a way to while away the idle hours while I wait to be frozen to death in my car, real estate would be a fine hobby, but as a money-making venture, I believe I already have two months' worth of proof that it sucks quite thoroughly.

So this has been taking some of the fun out of the whole Yippee I'm Starting A New Job thing. It barely makes me chuckle with glee to look over my vision benefits anymore.

But, on the bright side, my lip gloss matches my sweater perfectly. That, I can only assume, is why I'm making $1/hour more than the last temp they had here.

3 Comments:

  • At 9:41 PM, Blogger Sarah said…

    Oh man, that sucks. The IRS isn't going to pay you enough to both eat and live? That just isn't right. And you know what, you shouldn't have to do the real estate thing on the side! You have a law degree, you should be able to earn a living, even a meager one, with a law degree.

     
  • At 9:53 AM, Blogger feithline said…

    Omg thank you! It's so nice to see someone else say EXACTLY what you're constantly thinking. It makes me feel like much less of a whiny brat =)

    The problem is I'm going to be doing a job that only requires a high school diploma so I'm ridiculously overqualified (which, sadly, is probably the exact reason I got the job instead of someone more appropriate.) If I had an attorney job with the IRS I'd be raking it in.

     
  • At 11:58 AM, Blogger ARF, Esq said…

    Oh sweetie, I wish I had some encouraging words for you...but believe it or not I am in the same boat as you are. Even worse, I didn't pass the bar, I am a lot older and in the middle of an ugly divorce.

    Some suggestions to tie you over until something better comes along:

    1) Apply for forebearance on your student loans. (12 months)
    2) Get a PT (a few hours on the weekends) job that is tip-based. (great way to get your gas money...cash)
    3) Look into making money off your blog...affiliates, adsense, donations etc.

    I sincerely wish you the best in the New Year. Hang in there.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home