i (still) hate the bar exam

The adventures of a disgruntled unemployed former slacker law student struggling to pass the bar exam and find a job involving as little actual legal work as possible.

Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Arrgggh! Noooo! I Don't Want To!!!!

Question of the Day: If you are still looking for a job, what the heck is it you're doing???

In my pit of despair yesterday, I recalled a flyer I got in the mail from Legal Authority. They get no link, since they prey off the weak and downtrodden. I looked into their services. I was horrified to see that it would cost me about $3/firm to do a targeted mailing through them. Now, granted, I'm at the point where I can barely get out of bed in the morning, am boycotting washing my hair until I'm gainfully employed, and burst into tears whenever I think about applying for another job, which I believe puts me squarely in their target demographic, but I'll be damned if I'm paying any $3/firm.

And so, today, I commence Operation Arrgggh! Noooo! I Don't Want To!!!!

Operation ANIDWT Points of Action:
  1. Search for jobs on the 7 main job sites I check. (1/2 hour)
  2. Apply for 1 job found during search. (1/2 hour)
  3. Identify 4 firms suitable for targeted mailing. (1/2 hour)
  4. Prepare, print, and mail 4 letters to abovementioned firms begging for a job. (1/2 hour)
The Master Plan calls for all of this to happen before 11am every day. That, coupled with the fact that I'm tearing up just thinking about it, makes it very unlikely that this will work. But I'm going to try to force myself to do it this week.

7 Comments:

  • At 3:01 PM, Blogger Sarah said…

    Can I have some of those seven job sites you look at? I look at (worthless) eAttorney, and craigslist. That's about it.

     
  • At 3:40 PM, Blogger feithline said…

    My sites are mostly local, but you might find your local equivalents. I will rate them on a scale of 1 (very, very worthless) to 5 (only usually worthless.) I look at:

    1. My school's site (0*)
    2. Boston.com/Boston Globe (2)
    3. PSLawnet.org (1)
    4. Mass State job site (4)
    5. USAJobs.com (5)
    6. Monster.com (2)
    7. Mass Lawyer's Weekly (3)
    8. Craigslist, sporadically (1)

    * To be fair, if I were looking for a job in Texas, this would be an excellent week to be using my school's site. They have not, however, posted anything for a new grad in Massachusetts for over a month.

     
  • At 3:59 PM, Blogger Sarah said…

    It's nice to see that everyone else's school has worthless job sites. I've also been watching the State Bar's publication classifieds. Gah. Please let my interview go well tomorrow.

     
  • At 11:56 PM, Blogger The Once and Future TC said…

    *is confurzled* You went to law school in Texas?

    Um...do I know you? :-P

     
  • At 10:28 AM, Blogger Unknown said…

    I think that all of us in the boston area should just start our own law office and get off this vicious cycle. I haven't heard from the job interview I had the day before Thanksgiving. I don't think I am a candidate. I am moving in 6 weeks and need to have work to help pay the mortgage. Feithline, its so nice to have you blogging about this.

     
  • At 10:51 AM, Blogger feithline said…

    Tab - you are right to be confused. Why should my school, in Boston, post 5 new jobs for recent grads in Texas, when its recent grads in Boston are currently being killed off by a cold snap? (knew I should have gotten the heated diploma option)

    Rosa - We should totally start our own firm - Blogger & Blogs. I can incorporate things, do taxes, and write wills, all for low- to middle-class people only (thank you legal services training!) What can you do?

     
  • At 11:05 AM, Blogger Unknown said…

    I can do Real Estate and Wills. I can also dabble in Family Law. I speak fluent Spanish, so we can have a more diverse group of under-represented groups. I am also interested in financial planning and hope to take a certification course load next year. We can start a small office, then a firm, then take over the legal world. All this because no law firms in this region are willing to take a chance on newly minted attorneys, who have met the minimum requirement for law practice. Hmmm, I am liking the idea more and more.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home