i (still) hate the bar exam

The adventures of a disgruntled unemployed former slacker law student struggling to pass the bar exam and find a job involving as little actual legal work as possible.

Saturday, December 30, 2006

My Weekends Suck

I guess people really do rent for September 1st in January. I just got an email from five girls who want to look at 5-bed places next week. Come onnnnn big commission!

Speaking of commissions, I finally, finally, finished my deal with that other girl on Wednesday. But I can't get my check, because the broker had a death in the family and disappeared for who knows how long. I've never actually met the broker, so that's not quite as heartless as it sounds.

I get to spend my weekend installing baseboard and window casing in the attic and measuring for countertops. The measuring part totally sucks, but the countertops themselves are pretty exciting. We're getting real granite and marble for the kitchen/baths since our cabinets and appliances fell off the back of a truck out in Jersey which really helped cut costs. For the kitchen we're getting Blue Pearl, for the downstairs bath Ming Green, and for the upstairs bath it's White Naxos I'm most excited about the Blue Pearl since I had to wage a six-month subliminal message campaign to get it.

In lawyer news, Boyfriend's mother wants me to sue this contractor that totally screwed her over. I'm hoping he'll just show back up and finish the work after the first threatening letter (which I have yet to write) cause there's no way I can go to court by myself. It's not even small claims cause it's like $10,000, so it would be For Real Court. Eek.

Did anyone else get hit up for legal advice over the holidays? People like to ask me things I couldn't possibly know off the top of my head, like "How long do I have to keep cancelled checks?" and "What's the basis for the stock your grandmother left me that she bought in 1920 when it was the Northeastern Telegraph Company because telephones didn't exist yet and then became Bell which split off into the baby bells then eventually evolved into Verizon?" I was like ummm...these sound like questions for your accountant. Lawyers spot issues, we don't know practical things.

1 Comments:

  • At 2:30 AM, Blogger The Once and Future TC said…

    Um...somebody asked me if the judge and jury in A Time to Kill could do that. I said no. Then they asked, so what would happen? I don't know. Something bad. (And I'm pretty sure that closing argument was a big no-no too.)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home