i (still) hate the bar exam

The adventures of a disgruntled unemployed former slacker law student struggling to pass the bar exam and find a job involving as little actual legal work as possible.

Thursday, June 28, 2007

It's Like Getting Punched In The Face, But Good

To my horror, on Tuesday my boss came to tell me I had a phone call. Phone calls, in my unit, mean you screwed something up bad and someone is calling to scream at you about it, possibly because their house, car, boat, and/or child was just repossessed. So I flipped out and begged her to take a message and refused to take hold of the handset when she thrust it at me. All the while, as it turned out, the person was not actually on hold. Thanks, Phone Clerk, for being so competent!!!

It turned out to be someone calling from another department. They wanted to interview me on Thursday. Today was Thursday. Today was 150 degrees. I got to take paid administrative time to go to my interview because it's technically part of my job (or so my manager says - and am I really going to question that?) They gave me four whole hours. Sweet!

Now I've been applying to internal postings since my 90-day moratorium was up, which generally means faxing 10 pages of forms to such romantic faraway destinations as Ogden, UT and then never hearing anything back ever. Or, sometimes, you get a little form back in the mail that says you are eligible. Eligible is one step away from qualified, and qualified means you go on the Big List that they may eventually decide to interview off of if they choose to and their funding isn't cut first. But, shockingly, these people are crazy fast and today I got offered a new job.

Surprise!

I am in ubershock. My mother says to just take it. My reasons for hesitating are super lame: (1) I have friends at my job now, (2) taking public transportation enrages me, (3) I'm going to miss out on probably a month and a half of overtime (and consequently not get laid off in September, so you would think the two things would cancel out in my brain, but no.) Also I'm always afraid of hurting my bosses' feelings when I quit, which is totally stupid and irrational and yet inevitably causes me overwhelming guilt.

So I guess I'm going to go ahead and take it. It's in a much, much more prestigious area than the one I'm in now. And I'll get to do tax law stuff, although it's still not a Real Lawyer job. Oh, and did I mention they're going to send me for a week of training in a fabulous sunny southern destination that I have never been to? Oh yeah. That too. F* being a lawyer dude, I want to be a government drone! Woohoo!

Labels:

7 Comments:

  • At 8:03 PM, Blogger Frolics and Detours said…

    Congrats!

     
  • At 10:30 PM, Blogger Sarah said…

    Hooray!!!!

     
  • At 12:49 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Congratulations! I feel exactly the same way you do about quitting. I agonized for weeks before finally handing in my notice to quit 2-3 weeks earlier than planned so I could study for the bar. However any feelings of guilt evaporated upon the immature reaction of my supervisor, now I can't get out of there soon enough! I hope the new job works out the way you want it to!

     
  • At 10:07 PM, Blogger Make Mine a Triple said…

    Congrats! Sounds awesome. :)

     
  • At 7:24 AM, Blogger Liney said…

    Sounds good to me - I've been wanting to get in on the IRS... difficult to break into. So I'm taking the LL.M. route. Hopefully I'll get to where you are in another year or two!

     
  • At 7:10 PM, Blogger feithline said…

    Oh lord you don't want to end up where I am unless your fondest dream is to have wasted the last three years and hundreds of thousands of dollars only to regress into a job you would have been well qualified for the instant you dropped out of high school. I have almost no hope of ever finding a position here that would allow me to use my law degree, since I have no doubt that there will always be enough newly minted elitist snobs who only want to leech government secrets out of Chief Counsel just long enough to boost their value at their real six figure destination, thereby pushing my application to the bottom of the pile, then off the desk, across the floor, up onto the window ledge and Soar little resume! Soar! that I won't ever be utilized in any real valuable way here. But yeah, whatever, anyway... Tax Law Rocks!!!

     
  • At 12:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Ugh. I just left a tax consulting position. Actually, I got fired, because I refused to leave first. Best decision ever made for me! But that was the company, not the subject matter. But you sound like you have a lot of good options...something I certainly don't!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home