i (still) hate the bar exam

The adventures of a disgruntled unemployed former slacker law student struggling to pass the bar exam and find a job involving as little actual legal work as possible.

Sunday, May 13, 2007

Ethics For Lawyers

I guess I've decided to apply for the LLM in Taxation thing. I am not pleased, but I'm a little bit excited. Not about having the chance to earn another useless degree, paying $35,000 for the privilege, or attending boring classes that teach me less than nothing. No - I'm excited because I'll be an LLM Candidate, which sounds so much better than Unemployed Loser (although I suppose I'm technically a Federal Employee, but I consider my job so temporary that I can't bring myself to think of myself that way.)

The scariest part, aside from the fact that I'll be dumping another huge truckload of money on top of my Bottomless Pit of Massive Debt, is trying to find two law professors who "know me well" and convincing them to write something vaguely positive about me within a set time frame. My law professors did not know me well. My strategy, therefore, was to email the four professors I had in my last semester of school, hoping against all odds that my name might trigger some glimmer or recollection, and that they would take pity on me and just write something since I was obviously reduced to begging for help from complete strangers.

Shockingly enough, I did get two responses right away. One person just offered to do it, thank god, but the other person said something kind of weird. He said he would be happy to help me if I would just send him a complete draft of what I want said about me for him to look over. He basically wants me to write it so he can sign it.

Now people at work assured me that this happens all the time and there is nothing shady about it at all, but I'm not so sure. So I'm asking you - the conscience I never had - for your opinion. Is this normal? Is this ethical? Is this a golden opportunity? Do people get expelled or fired for that kind of thing? Eh? Speak up - I'm getting old.

Labels:

4 Comments:

  • At 8:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Yes, it's normal! The practice sucks (isn't it a professor's JOB to have a recommendation template somewhere? please) but there were definitely a few professors at Iowa who were well known for making students write their own letters, then the prof would read, revise, sign, and send. So no worries. And congrats on your decision to go forward with the LLM thing -- I've always heard that a tax LLM is the only one worth a damn.

     
  • At 10:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    It's awesome! Sing your praises to the sky. :)

     
  • At 2:08 PM, Blogger Sarah said…

    I think the LLM in Tax is a good idea. Especially because nearly all the tax jobs I see require one.

     
  • At 7:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Awesome! Can't wait to hear more about it.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home