i (still) hate the bar exam

The adventures of a disgruntled unemployed former slacker law student struggling to pass the bar exam and find a job involving as little actual legal work as possible.

Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Two More Interviews - Neat!

That's right. I'm Pop-u-lar. I've only been back in school for two months, and it has yielded 2 interviews, 1 callback, and a call from a recruiter based on a reference from an alumna. I heart my LLM. The third interview was just the result of my relentless pursuit of cushy government jobs that have little or nothing to do with the law. I also heart USAJobs.

So Monday I had an interview with my total government attorney dream job. The guys who interviewed me were young enough to find their way around the web, so I won't say specifically what it was, but it was the people I went shmoozing/boozing with in a previous post. And it turned out to be with two people who were there that night, who I had already met then and several other times, so it was minimally stressful. They seemed pretty positive about it. I don't want to be, because they can't crush a dream I pretend I don't have, right? I have a feeling the evil government HR people are going to screw me on a technicality. Sigh. But at least I had the interview...

Today I had an interview for a job I couldn't care less about, for a different government agency, but that pays 50% more than what I do now. Nothing else I'm interviewing for would start for at least 6 or 7 months, so I guess if they offered it to me I'd ignore that strange guilty feeling that comes from god knows where and take it. So we shall see how that works out.

Actually, this particular agency totally screwed me when I applied for this very job at the end of July. It occurs to me that I never blogged the story of how. Basically, they called me up, interviewed me, then told me that, because of an HR "oversight" they never should have interviewed me at all. And the reason they were digging around and discovered the oversight was because they wanted to hire me after that interview. Nice, non? I keep meaning to write a letter to that woman's supervisor so she can be sure to have it in her personnel file for all eternity. Maybe I'll do that right after I write my Xmas cards (and no, I'm not writing those *now* - I just schedule my letter writing way ahead.)

This wretched government HR error is not to be confused with the time when the Dept of Homeland Suckurity HR people totally screwed me on a job offer back last spring. And I've since become pretty sure that they were completely incorrect in the decision that was made there, and if I had known enough to fight it, I could have been earning almost a living wage this whole entire year. I hate them so much. I did send a letter to that evil whore's supervisor. So you see, I am capable of following through on my idle letter-writing threats.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

  • At 10:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    government work people are so fucking incompetent. Just expect that in the future. It's actually a factor to be considered when you decide whether to take that step and do gov work. Basically, if you need something for a co worker, or there's some sort of payroll problem or something, it's bureaucractic everfuckery is like salty garbage.

     
  • At 6:04 AM, Blogger feithline said…

    Yeah when I first started they were taking out $40/paycheck for the charity thing, which is pretty damn close to what I make in a day. I was like wtf is this?? And HR was like "you signed up for it last November" and I was like "I didn't start until this January!" and they were like "well there's no way it could have happened if you didn't sign up for it." Really? No way? Not a way, like, say, you f'd up and entered the wrong code when you processed my paperwork? I ended up having my manager call her manager and - amazing shocker!!! - an error was found and fixed. And just three months later, they refunded my money.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home