i (still) hate the bar exam

The adventures of a disgruntled unemployed former slacker law student struggling to pass the bar exam and find a job involving as little actual legal work as possible.

Thursday, November 30, 2006

Licensed to Sue

So I got sworn in on Tuesday afternoon. I wore a suit and took my nice purse, so as to better feign employment. The clerk lady who ran the show tried to make it funny, which helped move it along. We all held up our right hands and swore to serve god and our country, to help people at all times (unless it's inconvenient), and to live by the girl scout law. My favorite part was the lady from the Board of Bar Examiners (boo! hiss!) was on crutches. I like to think that someone who failed took a crowbar to her ankle in the parking lot. In reality, she probably just twisted her ankle while she and her cohorts were gleefully stomping on people's dreams.

I got to talking to the girl next to me after some schmuck on the end of our row decided to introduce himself to everyone within earshot. She is also unemployed and wants to do estate planning. I gave her my card (the one I printed myself). I'm very, very good at networking with other unemployed people my own age. I suck very, very much at networking with anyone who is in a position to actually help me. /sigh/

On Saturday I have what I think may be the final step in my IRS non-lawyer job application process. It's some role-playing exercise where people call and pretend to have tax problems and I have to try to help them without swearing or what have you. I don't anticipate that being a big problem. That job would start sometime in January I guess.

Also, in keeping with one of my birthday resolutions, yesterday I applied to two jobs. They weren't law jobs though. They had more openings for my total dream non-law job (study abroad counsellor) at the study abroad office of a big university here. It only requires a BA and 1-3 years of higher education experience. I actually worked there for a year as a work-study student, so I think I might have a shot. I also emailed my former supervisor and gushed about how much I loved working there in the guise of asking for advice on filling out the application, in case that might help. The whole reason I went to law school in the first place was to get a fabulous job that would fly me to France three times a year, and this job would do that. I could also get my LLM part time for free, if I still cared to.

I've got to get the temp people to find me something for next week. I'm starting to scrape the bottom of my bank account and all my bills are due on the 1st :\

4 Comments:

  • At 4:45 PM, Blogger una donna fantastica said…

    I wish I had taken a stab at that woman on crutches...WHILE SHE WAS ON CRUTCHES MUAHAHAHHAHA!!!

     
  • At 9:07 AM, Blogger feithline said…

    If I see her again I'll give you a call and pin her down till you can get out here ;)

     
  • At 1:35 AM, Blogger The Once and Future TC said…

    Congrats on getting sworn in!

     
  • At 6:34 PM, Blogger feithline said…

    Muchos gracias.

    See? Look how much I've learned in Spanish class. Um... although I guess I knew that BEFORE I took the class... But we can still pretend it's been worth it.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home