i (still) hate the bar exam

The adventures of a disgruntled unemployed former slacker law student struggling to pass the bar exam and find a job involving as little actual legal work as possible.

Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Licensed to Sell

Well I passed the test. It was actually pretty hard, in that there were a lot of things I hadn't ever heard of before and couldn't possibly know. Like "What does MA Title V regulate?" and I'm like umm... septic tanks? But apparently I'm an excellent guesser, so it's all good.

They're supposed to give you your card immediately after you pay, right at the test center - the very essence of convenience. But when they called me up to the desk, they noticed a Horrible Fatal Error - my street address said the equivalent of "alston" instead of "Allston." Oh the horror! Now, obviously, if you sent mail to me at that address (if that were in fact my address) it would get to me, no problem. But they said they couldn't they couldn't possibly give me my license with such a Gross Error on it. And, conveniently, they can't make small corrections like that on their big fancy computers - they would have to send my papers away to be corrected and it would take about two to three weeks!!

It took me FOUR hours of calling people and alternately crying, persuading, and screaming (and pacing up, down and around the Common scaring women and small children as I went) but they FINALLY decided I could have my card with the slightly wrong address on it.

And then - THEN! - when they printed the damn thing, it magically printed with the CORRECT address on it! Argh!!!

The lady was like "It's a miracle! Someone upstairs must really like you" and I was like "That's because I've been sacrificing goats in your lobby all afternoon" and she looked a little scared, like maybe I really had been. Heh. Maybe I did. I'm not telling.

So I start work this afternoon. Come onnnnnnnnnnn big commission!

3 Comments:

  • At 12:07 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    Congrats! I wish you the best of luck with selling/renting.

     
  • At 6:47 PM, Blogger Sarah said…

    Wow. They actually grade the test and give you your license right then. Imagine if the state bar did such a thing. Think of the grief they would save us all.

     
  • At 12:08 AM, Blogger The Once and Future TC said…

    Woohoo, congrats!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home