i (still) hate the bar exam

The adventures of a disgruntled unemployed former slacker law student struggling to pass the bar exam and find a job involving as little actual legal work as possible.

Monday, December 04, 2006

Awful

Oh god everything is so awful. It's so unfair. I just emailed the career services office again begging one of the ladies who used to be nice to me to help me, but I know she won't, because they don't care about us at all once we graduate. I'm about to run out of money completely this month and I don't know what I'm going to do. I waited too long and I can't get a bar study loan anymore. I can't even move back in with my parents cause I was so goddamn stupid and took the bar in a state where I don't know anyone. I mean not that it makes a fucking difference since I obviously won't ever get to be a lawyer here. But it hurts to have to leave and give up even the tiny little chance. I'd be better off buying lottery tickets than looking for jobs. I don't even see how I could give up and look for a normal person job cause if I leave law school on my resume they would never hire me and if I take it off how do I explain the three year hole? I just wish I were dead. I can't do this anymore.

Please no posts about cheering up from anyone who has a job.

6 Comments:

  • At 6:40 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    I completely understand your situation. I don't have a job either. Nothing has come my way. I've interviewed for three jobs in the last year since we've moved to MA. I've waited for rejection letters for months.

    Mass, and specifically Boston, have been really tough on the legal job market. When I did get a job offer from 1 of the 3, it was for 30K a year, which won't even pay for daycare costs and commuting expenses from the Burbs to Boston.

    I made $25K straight out of college, 10 years ago. So tacking on an additional 40K in debt onto the 20K undergrad education, and only making $30K on my JD and license was not even an option. Then I hear of people getting fabulous, decent paying jobs in the law as entry levels. All I can hope is that my turn will come soon.

    I hope something pops up soon for you too. Good luck.

     
  • At 11:46 PM, Blogger Harmless Error said…

    Girl, I hear ya. 100%. Lack of jobs, career services idiots, and pure fear. It's all in my last post too.

     
  • At 11:54 PM, Blogger The Once and Future TC said…

    :(

     
  • At 9:34 AM, Blogger feithline said…

    Ok I've stopped actively sobbing and come up with an unrealistic Plan of Action, which I will post about shortly rather than actually following in any way.

    Rosa: That $30k/year thing wasn't at a firm with the initials GMCR, was it?

     
  • At 10:50 AM, Blogger Unknown said…

    Nope. It was with a firm that does labor law work and aren't listed in Martindale. They wanted a Spanish speaking licensed attorney to do work that was more paralegal--intake interviewing and assigning to their attorneys. They are still actively advertising the job, but have increased it from entry-level to 3-5 years to probably justify the increase in salary. When I was asked what my salary reqs are I responded with "50-55K". He said, "oh, you wouldn't get that here or any other place for that matter." Nice. Good luck with your new plan.

     
  • At 11:26 AM, Blogger Sarah said…

    I feel you too. I have an interview tomorrow, but if it doesn't go well, I'm likely to pitch myself off a cliff. And career services has proven to be...yeah, worthless. In the meantime I get to continue to work at my shitty restaurant job and pretend all is going well.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home