i (still) hate the bar exam

The adventures of a disgruntled unemployed former slacker law student struggling to pass the bar exam and find a job involving as little actual legal work as possible.

Tuesday, September 26, 2006

The Gory Details

My interview lasted all of 10 minutes. Apparently they are interviewing 15 people this week and they want to do second round interviews next week (which might have been less annoying if this were an on-campus interview and I were still in school and I hadn't had to leave work an hour early to get there.) The guy seemed nice, but he kept saying the work was "fun" so he may also be a compulsive liar. He said I was "ahead of the game" because of where I went to school, so that seemed pretty positive.

And then, he said what they would pay me. Can you guess? I was going to make you guess, but there's no way you ever would. It's $15/hour. Is that not insane??? He said it would only be until I learned enough to do closings by myself because I'd be basically worthless to them until then, and that that should take 6 months to a year. But, dude, that sucks!

Omigod! I just got an email right this second from the Department of Revenue, which is like, my total dream job, and they want to interview me too! Mmm... government tax.... And it pays $22.75 to start. Sheeoot, I've gotta email all those people I forced myself to network with and see what I should say. Yay!

6 Comments:

  • At 1:29 PM, Blogger The Once and Future TC said…

    Ooh, a sweet sweet government job. Those are the best!

     
  • At 1:58 PM, Blogger feithline said…

    Omg the guy called me at 11am THIS MORNING (not what I was envisioning when I said "anytime" would be fine this week) and was like "can you talk now?" I was like umm...if you want me to be totally unprepared, sure! I didn't even have my resume in front of me.

    BUT, he was apparently so impressed that he wants me to come in for an in-person interview asap! Yay! Omg I would die to get this job. I'm already mentally picking out all the shoes I'd buy with my first pay check.

     
  • At 9:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Oh, this is such awesome news! Congrats!

     
  • At 4:28 AM, Blogger Frolics and Detours said…

    That's very exciting! Congrats.

     
  • At 1:15 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    If a BU LAW grad can't get a job making $15 an hour they should just shut down all law schools past #14. Which would be great so People could be like, "oh...hmmm...so you only went to Northwestern...hmmm...that's too bad, but maybe if you're really persistent you can get something."
    You're ahead of the game, my ass.
    I mean, you would be making more than that if you hadn't gone to law school and had been working for the last 4 years.

     
  • At 6:32 AM, Blogger feithline said…

    That's nothing. I heard of another girl from my school getting offered $20k with a straight face.

    I wish every day that I'd got a paralegal certificate off the tv (you've got to pronounce that TEE-vee) and gone to work straight out of college. I could be earning $90k at some huge prestigious law firm right now. Or, more realistically, I could have at least earned a ton of money, not gotten into debt, realized I hate the law, and gone to school for something I'd actually like to devote my life to. Although I probably would have been like "this job sucks because I'm just a paralegal, but once I have my LAW degree, it will be the key to my eternal happiness at a big firm!"

     

Post a Comment

<< Home