i (still) hate the bar exam

The adventures of a disgruntled unemployed former slacker law student struggling to pass the bar exam and find a job involving as little actual legal work as possible.

Wednesday, September 20, 2006

This Is What They Pay Me For, Right?

Yesterday on the radio, they bleeped out something the dj said. He ranted about how stupid it was that it should be censored, but obviously couldn’t say what exactly it was. Of course I then became obsessed with knowing what he said. The clues he gave were that you wouldn’t blink if you hear a child say it in school, it was a word his grandfather might have used, like “wisenheimer,” and it ended in “bag.” He was also kind enough to note that you can freely say “douche bag” on the radio as often as you find it to be necessary, thus eliminating my first thought. It took me a whole day of searching, but I have finally conquered the internet and discovered the truth.

Did you all know that “scumbag” is a dirty word? I always thought it was rather a politer way to refer to someone who was actually a total a*hole or an evil f*. But apparently it was once, briefly, a vulgar reference to a condom. And clearly, condoms are something evil that must never be discussed. I was even more shocked to find out the innocuous-seeming little word recently got in trouble for appearing in a NY Times crossword puzzle.

Who knew?

This post brought to you by My Law School Education, which instilled in me the ability to tirelessly research all things utterly unimportant.

4 Comments:

  • At 7:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    interesting.

     
  • At 1:21 AM, Blogger The Once and Future TC said…

    Oh, man, I'm in more trouble than I thought.

     
  • At 4:58 AM, Blogger Frolics and Detours said…

    Shut up. That is crazy. Scumbag is like the nicest term that ever comes out of my mouth. I'll be damned.

     
  • At 10:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I curse all the damn time and i can't stop. I need to get a radio station so I can get censored and get all mouthy.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home