i (still) hate the bar exam

The adventures of a disgruntled unemployed former slacker law student struggling to pass the bar exam and find a job involving as little actual legal work as possible.

Thursday, September 28, 2006

Hi Ho Interviews!

I told my mother what the real estate job paid and she was like "Oh, is it a non-profit?" Why no, no it is not. I haven't heard back from them yet, but I think the guy said something about Friday.

Friday is also the day I have my in-person interview with the Tax Man. I'm so excited! I know I should be scared to death and practicing my monologue in the mirror and stuff but meh...if I can't sound interested in my dream job god help me. It's at 8 freaking 30 in the morning though. That's my own fault for asking for something as early or late as possible. I only hope my 8:30 person doesn't have to come in special for me. I also hope they're too tired to ask hard questions, like "why did you go to law school?" and "why do you want to be a lawyer?" You know...the ones that make you burst into tears while sobbing "I don't know! It was all a horrible mistake!!" Or maybe that's just me.

I'm meeting with two people for half an hour each, neither of which is the guy from the phone interview, although he is picking me up in the lobby. I was afraid they were going to make me talk to like 5 people at once, since I suck at that (but really, doesn't everybody?), but that doesn't seem to be the case. I was reading about their hiring procedures on the HR website, so this is definitely the second, big deal interview. They're supposed to have it down to 2-3 people for this round. Eee! God I so wish I didn't suck at interviews!

Can anybody translate this into something work appropriate?: "Omigod! This is, like, my total dream job! Working here would be so totally awesome! Please please pretty please pick me!"

3 Comments:

  • At 6:01 PM, Blogger The Once and Future TC said…

    "I'm so thrilled to be interviewing here today. This is my dream job. I love tax law because [I watched too much trashy TV as a teen and my brain rotted and all that was left is a lifeless core]." You need to fill in the bracketed part yourself, because I'm afraid I do not understand the appeal. :-P

    Seriously, though, just figure out nice positive things to say about why you love tax -- "I'm fascinated by this area of law because...." I think everyone likes to hear that their chosen area of law is awesome and fascinating and neato and cool, and they'll always prefer the enthusiastic candidate to the one who's interviewing because...um...well, they've got that shiny law degree, and their Mom really thinks they should use it to get a job in the law, and this place agreed to interview them! Yay!

    Do you have a background in tax (or a related area...I mean, are you a CPA, did you major in accounting as an undergrad, did you take tax classes in law school)? Any of those will help to demonstrate your interest in the area. If not, make the extra effort to illustrate that you ARE there because you love the area, and not just because, hey, you need a job and this one is there.

    Good luck!!!!

     
  • At 10:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Best of luck tomorrow!!!!

     
  • At 12:04 PM, Blogger feithline said…

    Thanks y'all. The luck you wished me materialized in the form of the perfect parking space right outside the building I was going to. With 5 min still left on the meter no less.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home