i (still) hate the bar exam

The adventures of a disgruntled unemployed former slacker law student struggling to pass the bar exam and find a job involving as little actual legal work as possible.

Sunday, January 07, 2007

My Weekends Suck, II

This weekend we put in the hardwood flooring in the attic. It took 16 hours. And I'm working with an expert. My job was to crouch on the floor over a chop saw and cut both ends off of about 4000 pieces of old, dirty, dusty, stanky wood. Some of them had 50 year old animal pee on them too, which added to the fun considerably. I'm horribly allergic to dust, and I'm also sick, so I spent about 50% of the time trying to stop the flow of snot, which was black with the aforementioned hideous dirty old wood shavings (sorry I had to tell you that, but I felt you should know) and 50% of the time trying not to chop off a finger, put out an eye, or leap out the window to end the monotonous drudgery. I cannot WAIT to get back to sorting checks at work tomorrow. At least I get to sit in a chair half the time at work. I hate manual labor. Hate!!!

On Friday I got a call from someone at the IRS about some other job I applied for there. As near as I can piece together, it's salaried, temporary, and in Boston. I've got to call on Monday to see what they want. I also scheduled my interview for that paralegal thing. Instead of doing interviews this week, which would have been overwhelmingly convenient since I'm temping right next door, they're doing interviews next week, when I'll be about an hour away from Boston by car. Not that you can reasonably drive a car into Boston, mind you, since people here can't seem to operate a car and their brain at the same time. The parking is also outrageously expensive near where I have to go. And, oh yes, the best part is that I'm going to have to miss a whole half day of my brand new other IRS job during my first week of training, because they only want to schedule interviews smack in the middle of the day (which I presume is inconvenient for everyone, not just me). When they told me the times I could pick from, I almost just told them to forget it, cause it's going to be so freaking inconvenient, it's not even a REAL job still, and I have suspicions that they don't realize I'm an attorney and wouldn't even consider hiring me if they knew. I still might cancel it. Someone tell me what to do. I apparently only make crappy job search decisions.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home