i (still) hate the bar exam

The adventures of a disgruntled unemployed former slacker law student struggling to pass the bar exam and find a job involving as little actual legal work as possible.

Thursday, January 04, 2007

No Law For Me

I wrote to the state tax people to see where they are in their process. They wrote back to say that the other two people are their first two choices because they both have SIX OR MORE YEARS OF EXPERIENCE! What the fuck are these people doing stealing my entry level job from me??? Shouldn't they be off making partner somewhere??? This is so completely unfair.

And I'm going to have an interview with this other place for their paralegal position and they're going to be like "So why are you applying for this job? Don't you want to practice?" and I'm going to burst into tears because I DO WANT TO I JUST CAN'T BECAUSE NO ONE WILL LET ME! /sob/

Although that's not entirely acurate - what I really want is to go back in time and convince my past self to just go ahead and apply to the same awful, shitty jobs I'm applying to now, because at least then I would only be suffering the indignity of tearing out staples for 9 hours with a college degree, instead of with a law degree and $100k+ of fucking debt. Of course, past me wouldn't GET any of those jobs, because she would be underqualified compared to all the vastly, disgustingly overqualified people, like future me, who are stuck applying to the same shit because they can't get jobs in their field.

I haven't paid my bar dues yet. I think it's completely unfair that I should have to. On my way home tonight some asshole was screaming at me on the street to smile. I don't think I should have to walk around smiling right now either.

7 Comments:

  • At 1:22 AM, Blogger The Once and Future TC said…

    1) People who tell other people to "smile" are incredible jerks who should keep their domineering mouths shut.

    2) I'm sorry it's been so rough. Maybe there will be more activity on the job-posting front now that the holidays are over and all the firms are emptier after their 6th-year associates cleared out, bonuses in hand, to take cushy government jobs?

    3) Your past self would, in fact, be contending with your present self, not your future self. Your future self is maybe married an Italian lord and spends her days sipping vino and arranging her jewel collection.

     
  • At 7:46 AM, Blogger feithline said…

    It would have to be an English lord. I don't go in for the continentals with their pointy-toed man shoes.

    Ugh, speaking of... well.. something sort of like that, I saw in the tabloid aisle that Prince William is getting engaged to some buck-toothed English skank, thus narrowing my chances of becoming Queen of England down to like, 50/50 (there's still his brother, but I think he looks more the ancient Greek military man love type. Not that I'd mind a loveless marriage just to keep up appearances mind you. I could find fulfillment arranging my jewels, as you suggest.)

     
  • At 9:35 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Wait, I'm confused - I thought you had an IRS/auditing job all lined up?

    What's the deal with contract legal work in Boston, as opposed to the non-law temping you're doing now? A friend of mine did it successfully (and profitably) in Boston for 2 years, and it's what I've beem doing in DC for a couple months. It's emphatically not my long term life plan, but it pays the bills during this long and demoralizing job search...

    Anyway, best of luck. I know you could totally rock the law all to hell if only given a chance.

     
  • At 12:52 PM, Blogger Sarah said…

    Oh man, I feel you so much. DEspite having two itnerviews each for two jobs, I'm fairly sure I'm not getting either one of them, and I am on the verge of losing it completely. I spend my days now taking staples out of documents, scanning them, and then putting them in files or EVEN BETTER, shredding them! Yep. Oh and did I mention I still work at the menial restaurant job which makes me feel like a complete and total failure on roughly a daily basis?

    Maybe we should move somewhere and grow our on food. Get out of this life entirely.

     
  • At 8:39 PM, Blogger feithline said…

    Jen - I am going to go work at the IRS on the customer service phone line. I'll be a Junior Assistant Under Telemarketer of Revenue* and I'll earn jussssst enough to make it worth taking over continuing to temp, but still not enough to live on. Although I must say the benefits are exxxcellent.

    * actual job title may vary

    In re: doc review, I registered with Robert Half, which I know finds other people jobs, but despite the fact that I've called them twice a week for months and months, they've never offered me ANYTHING.

    Sarah - I'm totally jealous that you get to pull the staples out of honest to god legal documents :-P

    I spent ten hours today comparing two identical lists of numbers. Accountants have all the fun!

     
  • At 5:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Feithline, I too have never had any luck getting contract work. I sent my resume to every contract agency in Dallas and everyone of them pretty much had the attitude of--"Why are you sending us this? We don't get work for people like you." And by people like me, I mean people who graduate middle of their class from SMU. My name is Katherine by the way--I already posted a comment earlier and you and Sarah said I could be in your club. :)

     
  • At 7:48 PM, Blogger feithline said…

    We should come up with a name for this club so we can all put it on our resumes. And enough titles so everyone can be an officer. I call Fashion and Sportswear Representative. In that capacity, I decree that all club members shall wear lipstick tomorrow, because it never hurts to be pretty when you're looking for a job.

    There was a sorority at my college that seriously had that as an office.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home