i (still) hate the bar exam

The adventures of a disgruntled unemployed former slacker law student struggling to pass the bar exam and find a job involving as little actual legal work as possible.

Monday, November 19, 2007

Show Me The... Meh... I Never Saw That Movie

I'm jumping ship for a higher grade position. Yes, I'm leaving my beloved IRS for the Dept of Who The Hell Cares If It's Not About Taxes. A higher grade means more $$ - over 50% more than I was currently making. That's a hell of a raise. I'm mostly bitter and sad that I couldn't keep my job, which I love, and just make more money, but the horrifice communist bureaucracy that is the Office of Personnel Managment didn't want that to happen. Sigh.

I also had my second interview with my Accounting Firm last Friday. I thought that went reasonably well, and they seemed pretty impressed with my credentials, so we'll see. They also seem to have a terrible, disorganized recruiting system, so for all I know they've already made my application disappear into the ether by accident. They said we should hear by mid-December.

I haven't heard anything about Government Dream Job since just after my first interview, when I heard that I was being elevated to the Mystic Council in the Home Office. They supposedly meet once a month, and it hasn't been quite one month yet since the interview, so I suppose they aren't late yet. Plus it's the government so who knows if I'll ever hear anything.

In other news, I'm super bad far behind in my LLM classes and I am not going to be able to catch up because a) I work full-time, b) we have no reading period. There's also unhappy factor c) they are making me start my new job the day before my first final. I said I really, really had a problem with that, and they said too bad. If they weren't going to pay me so much, I would have a serious problem with that. Argggh.

So I estimate, based on my current knowledge of the law I was supposed to be learning and the fact that I will just have to wing it on my exams, that I will get a B, a B-, and a B+ (the B+ being in my How the IRS Works class, but the grade still not being very high because I'm sure there's some a-hole gunning for an A who's memorizing Circular 230 line by line right this very minute.) That averages out to a nice round 3.0 though, so I'm not going to lose sleep about it. And I'm sure as hell not studying over Thanksgiving. Maybe on the flight to Vegas for my bday after T-day though. Mayyyybe. If I run out of back issues of Glamour. I'll at least take the book. In my checked luggage. If it doesn't push me over the weight limit. That's all anyone can really ask, right?

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

  • At 11:13 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    Whaaaa? Holy shit. a happy ending! Is it a private firm?

     
  • At 6:43 AM, Blogger feithline said…

    Naw no happy endings. Just a bigger paycheck. I'm still just a non-attorney government drone, and as much as I enjoy droning, I haven't given up on finding my First Real Job out of law school. Yet. Although this is marked as "quasi-legal" since I'll be interpreting our operating statute in order to deny people things.

     
  • At 3:51 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    lameness. Buuut, at least the money's there, eh?


    Just found out i passed the bar (well, a few weeks ago) and I'm seriously putting out shit-tons of resumes. It's getting downright loathsome to jobhunt like this but I feel like there's a happy ending for both of us in the near future.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home