i (still) hate the bar exam

The adventures of a disgruntled unemployed former slacker law student struggling to pass the bar exam and find a job involving as little actual legal work as possible.

Friday, November 30, 2007

Upset, But Not Suprised

I got a generic form email this afternoon from the Accounting Firm talking about how they met me at OCI and can't hire everyone and blahblahblah we don't want you. Part of me wonders if I got it in error, since I'm not just some schmuck they met for 15 minutes at OCI as stated in the letter, and since they've been so fucking disorganized about this whole process, with multiple people from all over the country calling me repeatedly to ask for information they already had. I also resent their lie that they can't hire everyone. They could absolutely hire everyone they meet, all day, every day, because they have just that much money. That must mean someone there really hated me. Isn't that charming. Of course, I knew I wouldn't get the job, because I felt like the interview went well, which, clearly, is the kiss of death.

I assume this also means I won't be getting a positive response about Government Dream Job, since I thought that went well too. I emailed today to ask if I was ever going to hear anything, since it's been, oh, five weeks since my interview and they have not communicated with me directly in any way at all. The person I emailed today said the woman that had the information was out. I'm 90% sure it's this lady who wrote this nasty email that I saw last year about how they couldn't care less about anyone outside of the top 10% of their class (this, despite the fact that almost everyone who works there went to some crappy substandard school in the middle of nowhere - apparently their recruiting desires and reality don't synch up very well - maybe it's because they go around insulting people from good schools.)

So yeah, this is just great. I feel worse now than if I just hadn't gotten any interviews at all, because I got all optimistic that this LLM thing was going to be the solution to all my job problems, but apparently it's just another fucking expensive worthless degree I'll never use. Hurrah!

Also it was my birthday on Tuesday and I spent it in Vegas but who cares... I shouldn't be going on vacations anyway if I'm just going to be poor and in debt for the rest of my life.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

  • At 12:16 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Thinking that an interview 'went well' is the fucking kiss of death. You end up getting a fuck-off-and-die letter and you instantly have a slow-motion flash back of you sitting with the interviewers, smiling and building a solid rapport. Then realize that the whole time they were probably bullshitting you and thinking about what a sub-par candidate you were.

    Man that's harsh. But at least partially accurate. Maybe.

    What is the deal though, with this new job I thought you got? I thought you acquired a 'show me the money' gig.

     
  • At 3:47 PM, Blogger feithline said…

    No I was just being optimistic that I had three second interviews set up, two of which were for appropriate jobs, and one of which is the job I got. I was only making $30k/year before, so 50% more still puts me well below the poverty line after you subtract the atrocious rent here and my student loans. I actually make so little, that if I owed money to the IRS, I could get my account placed in Currently Not Collectable status. Although I wouldn't do that because interest still accrues and besides I make so little they barely tax me at all to begin with.

    The only semi-positive is that this new job, in a field I couldn’t care less about, at an agency no one thinks about, is that if I can’t find a real job this one at least has promotion potential that would put me equivalent to what they would pay me as an attorney.

    I guess another semi-positive is that I can do taxes for $$$ this year, which you can't do while you work for the man. Mmm... hot, steaming taxes...

     
  • At 4:11 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Quite understandably, I interpreted the "i got a new job, show me the money" as an unequivocal statement that you were rocking things.
    So, what's the deal? Drop us some good news.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home