i (still) hate the bar exam

The adventures of a disgruntled unemployed former slacker law student struggling to pass the bar exam and find a job involving as little actual legal work as possible.

Thursday, July 20, 2006

Brain Like a Sieve

Someone tell me why Massachusetts has 10 essays please. Because I don't understand. Exactly one week from now I'll be quietly sobbing and beginning essay #4. If I had graduated last year like I was supposed to (instead of taking a year off to persue my Bridget Jones fantasies) essay #4 would have been my first of TWO Civ Pro essays. So I obviously would have failed. We need a 4.8/7 average on the essays. My BarBri practice essays ranged from two astonishingly bad 2.75s for Torts and Con Law to a maximum of 5 3/4 for Wills (perhaps due to a morbid fascination with death brought on by extended suffering.) That, clearly, is not passing.

I have also caught insomnia, which is clearly a contagious virus capable of being spread over the internet. It causes me to begin to panic at 9 (omigod i'm too tired to study anymore but i'm too wide awake to sleep!), stay up watching tv and drinking 3/4 of a bottle of wine till 2am (maybe if i trick my brain into thinking it's all over already it will go to sleep), lie in bed wide awake worrying about all the studying I need to do the next day (if i wake up at 6am and study till 2am, I can make up for the last two months in just four days!), and, when I finally do fall asleep, dream that I am studying Civ Pro.

And of course then the next day I feel like arse cupcakes and don't want to study. And why should I want to when I Don't Retain Anything???

4 Comments:

  • At 2:59 PM, Blogger charlsiekate said…

    I've been drinking a lot of wine this week. My paranoia of not being able to go sleep is turning me into an alcoholic.

    I've spent all day brooding over the fact I'm going to fail. But from the other blogs I've read - so has everyone else. And we can't all fail - right? RIGHT?

    But I do know that my short term memory is shot, the essays make me feel stupid, and if I was capable of memorizing mnemonic acronyms I would probably be capable of learning the damn rule by itself. GAH.

     
  • At 3:09 PM, Blogger feithline said…

    Now now, let's put the blame where it's due. It's the LAW that makes us alcoholics, not our paranoia.

    In re: Mnemonics, I can remember that Frank Sinatra Doesn't Prefer Orville Redenbacher, which allows me to remember that a Possibility of Reverter only goes with a Defeasible Fee Simple, but the lady didn't teach us any way to remember just what the hell either of those two things IS.

     
  • At 4:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    My insomnia is just getting worse. It's so obnoxious. Last night, after taking no less than three sleeping pills, I was still awake at 3 a.m. I eventually fell asleep on the floor of our computer room because that's where it is coldest.

    Tonight, I too, am turning to alcohol. But, I fear, since three pills won't knock me out, neither will wine. So I believe I will try a vodka based cocktail.

    I just looked at the clock. At this time next week, I will be FREE. I plan on having vodka cocktails then too. But different motivation, of course.

     
  • At 2:13 AM, Blogger Fun Time Kito said…

    Hugs for everybody. Good luck. It's about 75-90% positive mental attitude now.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home