i (still) hate the bar exam

The adventures of a disgruntled unemployed former slacker law student struggling to pass the bar exam and find a job involving as little actual legal work as possible.

Thursday, October 12, 2006

The Downward Spiral Of My Career

I got fingerprinted this morning. No, not because I finally resorted to selling my spare narcotics to the neighborhood children. I applied for a job at the IRS. No, not a law job, although technically I suppose all their jobs involve tax law to some degree. No, the job I applied for is basically glorified telemarketing. I would have to sit in some warehouse in the middle of nowhere wearing a headset and having people call up and scream at me. All this, for $14.49/hour. And yet, boy howdy is this a popular position. They must have processed 500 people today, and I don't even know if today is the only day they're doing it. They're only looking for 50 people. I missed half a day of work to go.

The lady who fingerprinted me remarked on the clearness of my prints. She told me to avoid becoming a criminal. I told her I was trying.

Upon reaching work, I decided I would become a real estate agent. The agencies are always fishing for fresh meat on the university job boards, so I sent my resume to 6 places. One of them already called back and wants to interview me. I don't forsee getting a temp job for next week, so I'm doing that on Monday afternoon. That gives me 4 days to figure out whether or not I actually want to be a real estate agent. If anyone has any good "Oh god don't do that!" real estate horror stories, please relate them to me before Monday.

Getting a real estate license is kind of exciting though, in that it's the one way I could ever put my Property class to use (other than in hunting disputes over who gets the dead fox.) Here, apparently, you can get a sales license just by taking Property at a law school & passing some test. The test, not being administered by lawyers, can't be that hard.

The drawback, I suppose, is that I'm pretty sure you don't get paid. As I understand it, you get a commission and that's it. I don't know that I would necessarily like working and not getting paid. I think you have to pay for all sorts of outlandish stuff too. Kind of like becoming an Avon lady. Hmm... yeah... maybe I should be an Avon lady......... Or - OR! - I could PRETEND to be an Avon lady and really just sell drugs out of my little makeup kit! Yeah buddy! That's where the money is!

3 Comments:

  • At 9:41 PM, Blogger The Once and Future TC said…

    That's a 10% chance, with you probably having a better chance than most given your education...most job postings involve only ONE slot and draw 50-200 people.... Good luck!

    Ha. My fingerprints are so murky that I had to keep having them redone over and over again for my Character & Fitness check. The cop at my local station who always did them kept asking, "Well, do you do a lot of gardening or something that tears up your fingers? No...well, do you [fill in the blank." There is no reason. I am just the fingerprintless woman. I think that's kind of awesome.

    Being a realtor: I think it sounds cool. Bad stuff? Extremely unstable income in the beginning, and maybe for a long time if you don't quickly build a large pool of buyers and sellers...bad hours -- you HAVE to go whenever the buyer wants to go, and that's usually evenings, weekends, etc.

     
  • At 11:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    You definitely need to watch an episode of 'Million Dollar Listing' on bravo! For what it's worth, those agents seem to love their jobs :)

     
  • At 8:32 AM, Blogger feithline said…

    Omg I watch Million Dollar Listing, House Hunters, and like, every property show known to man religiously. I'm sure I would like the dealing with property and dealing with clients parts. I'm just worried about the money.

    I think I would be mainly doing rentals. I don't know what it's like anywhere else, but here you almost always have to pay a realtor's fee equal to one month's rent (in addition to your first, last, security, key, etc.) which is between $1200-2000 in the area where I would be.

    I guess I'm just going to go in and demand to know realistically how long it would take me to make money and how much business I would be likely to get in the winter. Everyone moves on Sept. 1st here.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home