i (still) hate the bar exam

The adventures of a disgruntled unemployed former slacker law student struggling to pass the bar exam and find a job involving as little actual legal work as possible.

Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Scared, Hungry, and Unemployed

I believe that even as I type this, a letter containing my fate is hurtling through the postal system towards me. Or, you know, crawling slightly slower than a snail.

I'm not sure if it's going to my apartment or house address. I think I may have optimistically put down the house one, since I was under the impression that we would be done and living there by September 1st. Silly me. We had our blueboard (like dry wall) delivered last night and we've already got most of the attic covered. It goes so fast. Once we have that up, we can have the plaster guy come, and then it will look like an actual house for the most part. That should be done by Thanksgiving.

We did get Trick or Treaters, despite the mess in the yard, the lack of porch lights, the rickety staircase, and the fact that everyone knows we don't live there. I stuck some ghosts on the door, sat in one window with my zebra ears on, and prominently displayed the candy cauldron in the other window. The best part is we only gave away about 2/3 of the candy, so all the more for me =)

Not that I can actually EAT the candy, mind you. Apparently, when you successfully lose weight, WW punishes you by taking away some of your points. I'm down to 20 now, which, as you well know, is the equivalent of like, 2 heads of lettuce and a linty mint you found in the bottom of your pocket (but only if you spit it out half way through.) This is particularly vexatious since I was STARVING all day yesterday. I seriously thought I was going to pass out at about 3pm. I don't see how this could possibly be sustainable long term.

On the job front, I managed to quit my temp job, although I couldn't do it on Monday because I was too scared. I did it before 10am on Tuesday though, so it was practically Monday. I haven't told them yet that I can't be here on Friday afternoon though. I hate asking for multiple things all at once.

I start my real estate job next Wednesday at noon. I'm already liking the hours. I've been scouring the internet for information on what to expect and I've found absolutely nothing. It's kind of shocking. I thought everything was on the internet now? I did find one article about recent grads in Boston going into real estate. I liked the parts where they talked about how rich and successful they are.

I got my real estate exam book yesterday and took a practice test first just to see how I'd do if I didn't study at all. I passed even though I skipped all the math questions because I didn't have a calculator. I only barely passed, but I do intend to study some, so I should be fine. The geeky law student in me was super excited to discover that they test all kinds of random bar exam law - not just property either, but agency, contracts, consumer protection, and a little bit of torts. I was so excited when I got a question about riparian water rights that I ran all the way upstairs to show Boyfriend, who was also thoroughly excited after I took 20 minutes to explain what I was talking about. Or maybe not. This is going to be great though. I only wish they were essay questions instead of multiple choice, so I could explain WHY your baseball ticket is just a license, instead of just filling in the bubble for choice B. I want extra credit!!!

6 Comments:

  • At 12:47 PM, Blogger Sarah said…

    I thinking of you! The last few days are the scariest I am sure! They don't have an online system for you to find out on? I don't know whether that's good or bad.

    20 points is tough. That's my daily allotment too. You have to be judicious and exercise A LOT!

     
  • At 3:11 PM, Blogger feithline said…

    UPDATE:

    You know I've been thinking about it, and I don't even know where I got the November idea in my head from. For all I know, they don't release our results until January 1st. I am SO envious of people in states where they knew their results would be online at noon on Saturday or whatever. Massachusetts sucks }:(

     
  • At 3:17 PM, Blogger feithline said…

    Sarah - What is this ex-er-cise you speak of? I don't believe I'm familiar with that method of sitting on my ass all day to conserve energy.

    I do actually have an elliptical machine, which I managed to stuff into a closet to hide it, and it's not one of those folding models either, so that really took some ingenuity. I was thinking of prying it out when I start Flexible Job next week.

    Won't exercising just make me hungrier though? I can only get 1 point for half an hour, and half an hour is really the limit of what I can do. 1 point is one mini reese's peanut butter cup. It just doesn't seem worth it.

     
  • At 5:35 PM, Blogger Sarah said…

    Exercise will make you hungrier, its true. But for example, I like to take spinning classes (cycling classes) at the gym. An hour is 7 points because its intense! (I have to go tonight because I had PF Chang's for lunch). 30 min of running is 3 points. Walking for 45 min is 2 points, if you walk quickly. It adds up. Yesterday the dog and I walked twice for a total of 90 minutes and 4 points and I went to the gym for 45 minutes which was another 5 points. Can you tell I'm unemployed?

     
  • At 10:27 PM, Blogger The Once and Future TC said…

    It is evil to release bar results by letter. It is also evil to post them on a webpage. And it's evil to make people call and have some bar person tell you whether you failed or not.

    The bar exam...it is evil.

    Am jealous about the trick-or-treaters...I had seriously sucky turnout, and let me tell you, I had some GOOD candy. I mean, each kid was getting three pieces of really good candy. You would have thought word would spread or something. :( So I have 900 pounds of candy left.

    Dieting...okay, well, want random advice from a person who struggles with her weight but has managed to remain more or less thin(nish) for years? No? Too bad! You're getting it anyway. I don't really know what 20 points means, but if you're that hungry, I don't think it's sustainable. As I mentioned in a previous post, you're going to start fixating on food, developing cravings, etc. The problem with losing weight is that your metabolism is changing -- the daily intake at which you won't gain or lose weight is less than it was before. I think that has a lot to do with why people regain weight after losing it.

    There's no good answer to that, but exercise can help...and it may take a lot of up and down before you get to a place you can live with calorie-wise (it took me two years...although now I mostly eat like a pig and exercise like a maniac...would like to lose 5 to 10 pounds but probably won't unless I do something about the porcine eating habits). All of which doesn't help much, I know, but I think you almost need to be okay with regaining some amount of the weight you lost b/c you're so deprived at this point. :(

    Then again, considering that it sounds like you lost, I dunno, 1.5 pounds because you were already a little bitty thing (bitch) (kidding, I didn't mean that) (no, actually I did...bitch), maybe none of this will apply to you and you can traipse away from your diet and remain a perfect size 2 for the rest of your days. :)

    Can't wait to hear more about your new adventures in real estate!

     
  • At 11:16 AM, Blogger feithline said…

    Just for the record, I'm only trying to lose about 15lbs and that should put me at a solid JCrew size 6.

    If you're looking for someone skinny to hate though, I've got a friend who's a size 0, who lost weight, and has to look for 00 jeans now. Of course she's about 5' tall and I think her bones are filled with helium.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home