i (still) hate the bar exam

The adventures of a disgruntled unemployed former slacker law student struggling to pass the bar exam and find a job involving as little actual legal work as possible.

Thursday, October 26, 2006

Arts & Crafts for Unemployed Lawyers

I think I dreamed I failed last night. I do not wish to discuss it further.

Now that I've got my Halloween costume squared away (going to be a zebra again - but with a new yarn tail! which I have yet to make, although I do have the yarn), is it to early to start thinking about Christmas? Clearly not, I suppose. I like to plan ahead in order to have as much of the perfect Martha-esque experience as possible.

I was thinking of making and/or baking something to send to Boyfriend's extended family this year, because last year, he wanted me to pick out actual presents for everyone (since he, as a male, was not born with a thoughtfulness gene), and yet, despite the fact that he's known these people his entire life, quite literally, he knew almost nothing about any of them. I got helpful tips like "Jimmy likes guns" and "Erica has two children, I think." We ended up sending out a lot of fruit baskets.

Now I think buying a tin of cookies is too impersonal for family, since you can go down to Costco and buy a gross of them in about 20 minutes, but I thought baking them (or something) might be ok. Has anyone ever done that successfully? Or received some that didn't make you think "Oh I see - she must be totally broke this year"?

Tune in tomorrow for another episode of Arts & Crafts for Unemployed Lawyers, where I'll try to decide whether the $70 cost of making 40 glitter-embossed holiday cards is excessive. Mostly I want the 600-degree heat gun. I haven't decide yet whether I'd use it for good, or for evil. Or have I }:)

4 Comments:

  • At 8:41 PM, Blogger The Once and Future TC said…

    It is NOT too early to think about Christmas. It is too early to DECORATE for Christmas, much to my everlasting chagrin.

    I have finished my Christmas shopping...for my overseas family. This weekend is the drop-dead date as far as shipping is concerned, so off it must go.

     
  • At 8:42 PM, Blogger The Once and Future TC said…

    Oh, and I both LOVE the homemade goodies gift AND think that the person giving it to me is totally cheap. :-P

     
  • At 8:28 AM, Blogger feithline said…

    Yeah well you'll note that I said I wanted to send cheap shit to Boyfriend's people, not mine. Mine are getting cashmere and suchlike. And he just bought a house, so they are obligated to be understanding.

     
  • At 11:40 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Last year I made my boyfriend's parents a Black Russian Cake (dark chocolate cake + lots of kahlua, rum & powdered sugar) and it went over just fine. You can't be bitter about a delicious chocolate gift that makes you tipsy! I have also given older people that I didn't know too well (parents of friends, hostesses, etc.) bottles of expensive looking, fancy olive oil from specialty shops. And there's my 2 cents.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home